Recipe: Spicy Broccoli Rabe
Last updated: January 21, 2021, at 11:47 a.m. PT
Originally published: January 21, 2021, at 11:45 a.m. PT
This quick and simple side dish elevates any weeknight meal to another level.
- 2 pounds broccoli rabe, trimmed and cut into 2” pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 oil packed anchovy fillets (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 oz parmesan, shaved
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the broccoli rabe. Cook for two minutes or until bright green.
- While boiling, fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Drain broccoli rabe and immediately submerge in ice water until cold – about 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add garlic, red pepper flakes and anchovies. Cook, breaking up the anchovy until garlic is fragrant – about 1 minute.
- Add blanched broccoli rabe to the pan and cook until crisp tender and hot – about 2-3 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and toss with lemon juice.
- Serve topped with parmesan and pine nuts.