Recipe: Kale & White Bean Soup
Last updated: January 21, 2021, at 11:58 a.m. PT
Originally published: January 21, 2021, at 11:55 a.m. PT
This creamy vegetarian soup is hearty and warming. Serve with a loaf of crusty bread for dipping.
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 leek, cleaned and thinly sliced (white and pale green parts only)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt • Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 (15 oz.) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 large bunch kale, removed from stems and torn into medium pieces
- Freshly grated Parmesan, for serving
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, celery, and leek and cook until slightly soft, five minutes. Add garlic, thyme, and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add broth, water, and beans and bring to a simmer. Stir occasionally, mashing some beans in the pot to thicken soup. Let simmer 15 minutes, then stir in lemon juice and kale. Cook until kale has wilted – about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with Parmesan before serving.