Recipe: Spaghetti with Kale, Chickpeas and Crispy Garlic
Last updated: March 28, 2022, at 10:03 a.m. PT
Originally published: March 28, 2022, at 8:28 a.m. PT
- 8 cloves garlic, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained/rinsed
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, stems removed, leaves chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Thinly slice 6 of the garlic cloves and chop the other two. Set aside separately.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-low heat and add garlic in an even layer.
- Cook, stirring continuously for about 2 minutes – or until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from heat and use a slotted spoon to transfer garlic to a paper towel-lined plate, keeping the oil in the skillet.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions – reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid before draining.
- Return skillet with the reserved oil over medium heat. Add shallot, red pepper flakes, and remaining 2 cloves garlic, stirring for one minute.
- Add chickpeas, kale, and lemon zest and season with salt and pepper – cooking until kale has wilted.
- Add the spaghetti and lemon juice to the pan and toss to combine.
- Add ½ cup pasta water and toss again.
- Add the parmesan and toss again – adding a little more pasta water if needed.
- Serve garnished with crispy garlic and a bit more parmesan cheese if desired.