Recipe: Sheetplan Eggs & Veggies
Last updated: January 21, 2021, at 12:44 p.m. PT
Originally published: January 21, 2021, at 12:31 p.m. PT
This hearty sheet pan meal is great when cooking for a crowd.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 red onion, sliced into half-moons
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced into strips
- 2 yellow bell peppers, sliced into strips
- 1 bunch swiss chard, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper
- ½ rustic whole grain baguette, torn into large pieces
- Avocado oil spray
- 6 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease a baking sheet.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet and sauté sweet potato, onion and peppers until softened – about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove stems from chard and chop both the stems and leaves separately – set chopped leaves aside.
- Add chard stems to skillet and cook for 2 more minutes and transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet and add chard leaves, thyme and oregano. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until leaves have just wilted.
- Place bread pieces on a baking sheet and spray evenly with avocado oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Scatter the sweet potato mixture and the greens over the baking sheet with the bread and use your hands to evenly arrange.
- Create 6 wells in the veggie mixture and crack one egg into each well.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until egg whites have set and yolks are soft.
Look for pressurized avocado spray oil that uses no propellants and contains only oil.