Recipe: Green Shakshuka
Last updated: January 21, 2021, at 12:26 p.m. PT
Originally published: January 21, 2021, at 12:23 p.m. PT
This dish is a green take on the traditional tomato based shakshuka. Serve with crusty, whole grain bread and dig in!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ bunch cilantro chopped
- 5 large eggs
- ¼ cup water
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Bring a large skillet to medium heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add spinach and sauté until just wilted, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Use tongs to transfer to a towel lined plate to remove excess liquid. Set aside. Wipe down skillet.
- Return skillet to medium heat and add 1 tablespoons oil. Add shallots and garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add cumin and coriander, continue to sauté for 1 to 2 minutes
- Return spinach to skillet and season with salt and pepper and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in cilantro.
- Transfer half of the mixture to a food processor and puree with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, until mixture is smooth. Pour puree back into the skillet and stir to combine. Spread mixture into an even layer and create 5 wells in the spinach mixture.
- Carefully crack an egg into each well and cook until egg whites begin to set.
- Pour ¼ cup water around the edge of the skillet, cover and allow to steam until eggs are cooked to your liking – about 2 minutes for runny yolks.
- Remove from heat and top with sliced avocado, crumbled feta cheese and a several turns of freshly ground black pepper.