Recipe: Quinoa Avocado Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
Last updated: March 22, 2023, at 4:58 a.m. PT
Originally published: August 24, 2020, at 10:21 a.m. PT
This delightful fall salad is big on flavor and low on salt!
Yields: 4 servings
Total Preparation Time: 35 minutes
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper plus 1/4 teaspoon, divided
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 1¼ cups cooked quinoa, divided
- 2 heads Belgian endive, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 firm ripe Fuyu persimmons, pears, or peaches thinly sliced
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Whisk buttermilk, crème fraîche, vinegar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, shallot, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/4 cup quinoa and cook,stirring occasionally, until crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool.
- Combine endive and persimmons (or pears) with the remaining 1 cup quinoa, 1 tablespoon oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a medium bowl; toss to coat. Spread on a platter. Drizzle avocado with the remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice and sprinkle with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Arrange on the platter. Drizzle with the reserved dressing.
- Serve topped with dill and the crispy quinoa.
Locations: Auburn Valley YMCA Bellevue Family YMCA Coal Creek Family YMCA Dale Turner Family YMCA Downtown Seattle YMCA Matt Griffin YMCA Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA Northshore YMCA Sammamish Community YMCA Snoqualmie Valley YMCA University Family YMCA West Seattle & Fauntleroy YMCA Kent YMCA