Recipe: Quinoa Avocado Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
Last updated: March 22, 2023, at 4:58 a.m. PT
Originally published: August 24, 2020, at 10:21 a.m. PT
This delightful fall salad is big on flavor and low on salt!
Yields: 4 servings
Total Preparation Time: 35 minutes
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper plus 1/4 teaspoon, divided
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 1¼ cups cooked quinoa, divided
- 2 heads Belgian endive, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 firm ripe Fuyu persimmons, pears, or peaches thinly sliced
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Whisk buttermilk, crème fraîche, vinegar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, shallot, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/4 cup quinoa and cook,stirring occasionally, until crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool.
- Combine endive and persimmons (or pears) with the remaining 1 cup quinoa, 1 tablespoon oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a medium bowl; toss to coat. Spread on a platter. Drizzle avocado with the remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice and sprinkle with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Arrange on the platter. Drizzle with the reserved dressing.
- Serve topped with dill and the crispy quinoa.