Recipe: Quick Pickled Carrots
Last updated: January 21, 2021, at 11:20 a.m. PT
Originally published: January 21, 2021, at 11:15 a.m. PT
These carrots will quickly become your favorite add on to any meal. Delicious in salads, on sandwiches or straight out of the jar!
- 1 pound carrots, julienned
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- Combine carrots and salt in a large bowl. Use your hands to massage the carrots with the salt until the begin to soften.
- Heat honey, vinegar and water in a small saucepan until sugar has dissolved.
- Add peppercorns, red pepper flakes and garlic to a pint-sized glass jar and top with carrots, packing down as needed.
- Pour warm vinegar mixture over the carrots, topping with a bit of how water if needed.
- Close lid and store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Carrots are ready as soon as they have cooled down and will last for at least a month in the fridge.
Locations: Auburn Valley YMCA Bellevue Family YMCA Coal Creek Family YMCA Dale Turner Family YMCA Downtown Seattle YMCA Matt Griffin YMCA Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA Northshore YMCA Sammamish Community YMCA Snoqualmie Valley YMCA University Family YMCA West Seattle & Fauntleroy YMCA Kent YMCA