Recipe: Pink Pickled Onions
Last updated: January 21, 2021, at 11:14 a.m. PT
Originally published: January 21, 2021, at 11:09 a.m. PT
These pretty pickled onions are a wonderful addition to salads, sandwiches or on top of grilled fish.
- 1 large red onion, sliced into half moons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup honey • ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- Heat salt, honey, vinegar and water in a small saucepan until sugar has dissolved.
- Add peppercorns, red pepper flakes and garlic to a pint-sized glass jar and top with onions, packing down as needed.
- Pour warm vinegar mixture over the onions, topping with a bit of hot water if needed.
- Close lid and store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Onions are ready as soon as they have cooled down and will last for at least a month in the fridge.