Recipe: Pan Seared Tofu
Last updated: May 4, 2021, at 9:40 a.m. PT
Originally published: May 4, 2021, at 9:40 a.m. PT
This can be used in a number of different dishes but is particularly tasty with Saucy Peanut Noodle Salad.
- 1 (14 oz) block extra firm tofu, drained
- ¼ cup tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic paste
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 avocado oil
- Wrap tofu in clean kitchen towels and place in a shallow dish. Top with a cutting board and a clean skillet or other heavy object to press the water out of the tofu for 15-30 minutes.
- Pat dry and cut tofu into bite sized cubes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the tamari, vinegar, chili paste, lime juice, sesame oil and maple syrup.
- Add tofu cubes to marinade and toss to coat and allow to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat avocado oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Drain the marinade and add tofu to hot oil, tossing in the oil.
- Continue cooking for about 5 minutes or so until the tofu is browned in spots.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge to eat later.