Recipe: One Pot Spanish Chicken and Rice
Last updated: December 8, 2022, at 4:31 p.m. PT
Originally published: December 8, 2022, at 4:18 p.m. PT
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 pinch saffron (optional)
- ½ cup pitted green olives
- 4 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet and add chicken. Season with salt and pepper and cook until browned – about 5-6 minutes.
- Add onions and red pepper and cook until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for one minute before adding the rice.
- Stir to toast the rice for a minute or two and add paprika before pouring in the stock and tomato sauce and bringing to a boil.
- Add saffron, cover and reduce heat to low and cook for about 25 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Season to tasted with salt and pepper and stir in the olives and spinach until spinach has wilted.
- Serve topped with cilantro and lemon wedges.
- Swap white rice for brown basmati rice and increase stock to 2 cups and increase cooking time by 15-20 minutes or until rice is cooked and liquid has been absorbed.