Recipe: Chickpea Curry Stuffed Squash
Last updated: December 9, 2022, at 10:52 a.m. PT
Originally published: December 9, 2022, at 10:48 a.m. PT
- 1 large acorn squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon tamari or soy sauce
- ¾ cup canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 35 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut squash horizontally in half and scrape out the seeds and any stringy bits.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the squash and sprinkle with fresh thyme.
- Roast for 40-45 minutes – or until tender. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Heat avocado oil in a pot over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and onions and saute until softened.
- Add chickpeas, curry powder, cumin and soy sauce – mix to combine.
- Add coconut milk and increase heat. Once boiling, turn heat down to simmer for about 5 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from heat and add parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Use a spoon to scoop out some of the squash (leaving about ½” thick intact) and stir into the chickpea mixture.
- Divide curry between squash shells and sprinkle with a bit more parsley to serve.