Recipe: Lemon Kale Salad with Dates & Hazelnuts
Last updated: November 28, 2023, at 8:43 p.m. PT
Originally published: December 22, 2020, at 10:56 a.m. PT
This hearty winter salad is full of vibrant flavors and is sure to satisfy.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup raw hazelnuts
- 1 lb kale, stems removed, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1+ tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino cheese
- Sea Salt and Pepper
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat and add hazelnuts. Sprinkle with a little salt and toss in the pan until lightly toasted and fragrant. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the kale in a large bowl and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a generous pinch of salt. Use your hands to massage the oil and salt into the kale leaves until they have softened. Set aside.
- Whisk lemon zest and juice with olive oil, honey and cayenne pepper until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the kale and top with hazelnuts, dates and pecorino cheese. Toss well, taste and season as needed with salt and pepper.