Recipe: Lemon Kale Salad with Dates & Hazelnuts
Last updated: November 18, 2021, at 1:05 p.m. PT
Originally published: December 22, 2020, at 10:56 a.m. PT
This hearty winter salad is full of vibrant flavors and is sure to satisfy.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup raw hazelnuts
- 1 lb kale, stems removed, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1+ tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino cheese
- Sea Salt and Pepper
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat and add hazelnuts. Sprinkle with a little salt and toss in the pan until lightly toasted and fragrant. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the kale in a large bowl and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a generous pinch of salt. Use your hands to massage the oil and salt into the kale leaves until they have softened. Set aside.
- Whisk lemon zest and juice with olive oil, honey and cayenne pepper until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the kale and top with hazelnuts, dates and pecorino cheese. Toss well, taste and season as needed with salt and pepper.
Locations: Auburn Valley YMCA Bellevue Family YMCA Coal Creek Family YMCA Dale Turner Family YMCA Downtown Seattle YMCA Matt Griffin YMCA Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA Northshore YMCA Sammamish Community YMCA Snoqualmie Valley YMCA University Family YMCA West Seattle & Fauntleroy YMCA Kent YMCA