Recipe: Homemade Garlic Flatbread
Last updated: March 28, 2022, at 10:02 a.m. PT
Originally published: March 25, 2022, at 8:12 a.m. PT
- 200 grams (scant 1 ½ cups) whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 100 mL (1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons) room temperature water
- 1+ tablespoon olive oil
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and garlic powder and set aside.
- In a larger bowl, combine the water with 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture.
- Use a fork to whisk until combined.
- Slowly, add the remaining flour mixture, a few tablespoons at a time – adding the 1 tablespoon of oil once about half of the flour has been added.
- Continue adding flour mixture a little at a time – switching to kneading with your hands as needed.
- Once you’ve formed a rough ball, knead by hand for about 3 minutes or until the dough bounces back slightly when pressed.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and set aside to rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature or refrigerated overnight.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces and roll each into a ball.
- Dust a cutting board lightly with flour and roll each ball of dough out to about 1/8” thick.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the rolled-out dough, cooking until slightly charred in spots – about 1-2 minutes.
- Flip and cook for one minute more.
YIELDS: 8 Flatbreads
- Keep warm in a kitchen towel or foil until ready to serve.