Recipe: Eggplant Tagine
Last updated: October 6, 2021, at 9:37 a.m. PT
Originally published: September 24, 2021, at 1:15 p.m. PT
- 2 small eggplant, cubed
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ras el hanout
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place eggplant in a bowl and sprinkle with salt, and set aside for 30 minutes. And gently rinse excess salt.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven.
- Brown eggplant evenly and remove and set aside.
- Return Dutch oven to medium heat and add onion, celery, and bell pepper.
- Lower heat and saute until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ras el hanout, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and cook for one minute more.
- Stir in tomatoes, raisins, chickpeas, and broth.
- Bring to a boil, add the eggplant, and stir into stew.
- Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until eggplant is tender.