Recipe: Crispy Feta with Spiced Chickpeas and Orzo
Last updated: March 22, 2023, at 5:00 a.m. PT
Originally published: July 23, 2020, at 12:01 p.m. PT
This flavor-packed dish takes humble feta and transforms it into the star of the show!
Yields: 4 Servings
Total Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat orzo
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 (8 oz) block of feta
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 2 (14 oz) cans chickpeas, drained/rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms, cleaned, sliced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain well and toss with olive oil and fresh basil. Set aside.
- Pat the feta dry and slice into slabs about 1/4" thick and dredge in cornstarch until evenly covered.
- Heat 2 tablespoons avocado oil over medium heat. Place feta in hot oil, being careful not to over crowd the pan. Cook about 1 minute per side, until golden brown. Remove from pan
- and set aside.
- Add remaining avocado oil to hot pan and add the chickpeas, 3 cloves of garlic, paprika, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes or until hot.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking until browned - about 5 minutes more.
- Add lemon zest and fresh parsley and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix yogurt, remaining 1 clove of garlic, dill and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide yogurt among four plates and spread it out. Top with orzo, chickpeas and crispy feta.