Recipe: Creamy Turmeric Soup with Crispy Chickpeas
Last updated: March 28, 2022, at 9:59 a.m. PT
Originally published: February 25, 2022, at 1:05 p.m. PT
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and dried with towel
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 /2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 /8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 / 4 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1" piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 cup cashews
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4-8 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 /2 lemon, juiced
- 1 /4 cup chopped Italian Parsley
- Olive Oil to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss chickpeas in olive oil, cumin, paprika, and salt and roast for about 30 minutes or until browned.
- While chickpeas are roasting, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion. Saute for about 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and cook for about a minute more. Add cauliflower, cashews, turmeric powder, and salt and toast, stirring for another minute.
- Add 4 cups broth, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low, and simmer until soft-about 1 5 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree soup until smooth. OR carefully blend small batches in your regular blender covered with a towel and return to pot.
- Add lemon juice and additional broth until you have your desired consistency.
- Serve topped with chickpeas, parsley, and a drizzle of olive oil.
TOTAL PREPARATION TIME: 40 minutes