Recipe: Chitrannam (Lemon Rice)
Last updated: August 10, 2021, at 2:42 p.m. PT
Originally published: August 10, 2021, at 2:42 p.m. PT
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/3 cup cashews or peanuts
- 1 piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 hot green chile, halved
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 12 fresh curry leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon urad dal (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 cups cooked brown basmati rice, refrigerated
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Heat oil over medium heat and add mustard, nuts, ginger, chile, cumin, curry leaves, and urad dal.
- Cook for 2-4 minutes, or until nuts are golden brown.
- Remove from heat and stir in the turmeric, cold rice, lemon juice, and salt.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro
Locations: Auburn Valley YMCA Bellevue Family YMCA Coal Creek Family YMCA Dale Turner Family YMCA Downtown Seattle YMCA Matt Griffin YMCA Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA Northshore YMCA Sammamish Community YMCA Snoqualmie Valley YMCA University Family YMCA West Seattle & Fauntleroy YMCA Kent YMCA
Category: Healthy Eating