Recipe: Saag Paneer (or Tofu)
Last updated: August 9, 2021, at 11:13 a.m. PT
Originally published: August 6, 2021, at 3:48 p.m. PT
- 2 tablespoons melted ghee or avocado oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Kashmiri chile powder
- 8 ounces paneer (or tofu), cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1” piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Salt, to taste
- Mix 1 tablespoon oil with turmeric and chile powder and add cubed paneer, tossing to coat.
- Heat a pan to medium and add paneer, cooking until golden brown – about 8minutes.
- Remove paneer from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add remaining oil, onion, ginger, cumin, and mustard, and cook until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and garam masala and cook for one to two minutes before adding the spinach.
- Cook, scraping the flavors from the bottom of the pan until spinach is hot.
- Remove from heat and stir in the yogurt and paneer, and season with salt to taste.