Recipe: Chile Relleno Breakfast Tacos With Homemade Salsa Verde
Last updated: August 4, 2023, at 9:44 a.m. PT
Originally published: July 24, 2023, at 1:28 p.m. PT
Chile Relleno Breakfast Tacos
- 3 poblano peppers
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 6 fajita-sized flour tortillas
- 6 tablespoons salsa verde
- 6 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Broil poblano peppers until blackened on both sides and place in a bowl. Cover and allow to steam until cool enough to handle.
- Use hands to remove skins, remove stems and cut each pepper in half and scrape out the seeds.
- Cook eggs to your liking and set aside.
- Add ¼ cup shredded cheese directly to a well-greased nonstick skillet in a circle, roughly the size of your tortillas.
- Allow to melt, and top one-half half of a poblano pepper and one tortilla.
- Continue cooking until cheese is golden brown and flip to lightly toast the other side of the tortilla.
- Transfer to a plate and top with one egg, season with salt and pepper, and add one tablespoon salsa, and 1 tablespoon cilantro.
- Repeat to make all six tacos.
Homemade Salsa Verde
- 12 medium tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 jalapeno, stem removed
- ½ sweet onion, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Broil tomatillos and jalapeno until blackened in spots on both sides.
- Add remaining ingredients to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add broiled tomatillos and jalapeno and pulse until smooth. Taste and add salt or lime if needed.