Recipe: Beet & Arugula Salad
Last updated: December 3, 2020, at 2:39 p.m. PT
Originally published: November 30, 2020, at 12:59 p.m. PT
This can be served as-is for a vegan side dish or with crumbled goat cheese on top.
- 1 pound red beets, ends trimmed
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place beets in the center of a large piece of foil, gather the sides of the foil to create a bowl. Pour in ½ cup vinegar and fold foil to seal. Roast until tender – about 45 minutes. Open foil and allow beets to cool until you can handle them.
- Meanwhile, bring ½ cup remaining vinegar to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, until reduced to a syrup – about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Slice cooled beets very thinly and arrange on a platter.
- Toss arugula with oil, salt, and pepper and place on top of beets.
- Sprinkle pecans on top and drizzle with the balsamic reduction.
Shortcut tip! Buy steamed beets, slice, and toss with a bit of balsamic before arranging on the platter.
Locations: Auburn Valley YMCA Bellevue Family YMCA Coal Creek Family YMCA Dale Turner Family YMCA Downtown Seattle YMCA Matt Griffin YMCA Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA Northshore YMCA Sammamish Community YMCA Snoqualmie Valley YMCA University Family YMCA West Seattle & Fauntleroy YMCA Kent YMCA