Recipe: Beet & Arugula Salad
Last updated: December 3, 2020, at 2:39 p.m. PT
Originally published: November 30, 2020, at 12:59 p.m. PT
This can be served as-is for a vegan side dish or with crumbled goat cheese on top.
- 1 pound red beets, ends trimmed
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place beets in the center of a large piece of foil, gather the sides of the foil to create a bowl. Pour in ½ cup vinegar and fold foil to seal. Roast until tender – about 45 minutes. Open foil and allow beets to cool until you can handle them.
- Meanwhile, bring ½ cup remaining vinegar to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, until reduced to a syrup – about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Slice cooled beets very thinly and arrange on a platter.
- Toss arugula with oil, salt, and pepper and place on top of beets.
- Sprinkle pecans on top and drizzle with the balsamic reduction.
Shortcut tip! Buy steamed beets, slice, and toss with a bit of balsamic before arranging on the platter.