Recipe: Baked Salt & Pepper Tofu
Last updated: July 15, 2020, at 4:57 p.m. PT
Originally published: July 15, 2020, at 11:11 a.m. PT
Whether you're vegan or just looking to try a different type of protein, this healthy salt and pepper baked tofu recipe will keep you coming back for more! Tofu is a great source of protein with a relatively long shelf life. This baked tofu is seasoned simply, so it can be added to salads, noodles, rice, burrito bowls, or stir-friy.
Yields: 2 1/2 cups
Total Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- 1 (14 oz) block tofu, firm or extra firm
- 1 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon or cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drain the tofu and slice into slabs about 1” thick.
- Place a clean towel on a cutting board and lay the tofu slices in one even layer on top.
- Cover with another clean towel.
- Place a cutting board on top of the wrapped tofu and place a heavy pot or cans on the board to create a press.
- Allow the tofu to press and drain for 15-30 minutes. Once excess moisture is gone, cut tofu into 1" cubes and transfer to a bowl.
- Drizzle tofu with oil and sprinkle with cornstarch, salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- Gently toss until evenly coated. Arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet so the tofu is spread out in an even layer with space between each piece.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking time.