Recipe: Agedashi Tofu (Crispy Tofu in Dashi Broth)
Last updated: March 28, 2022, at 9:34 a.m. PT
Originally published: February 25, 2022, at 11:31 a.m. PT
- 2 (14 ounces) blocks soft tofu, drained
- 2 green onions
- 1 cup dashi stock (see recipe here)
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 5 tablespoons potato starch, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2-3 tablespoons avocado oil
- ¼ cup bonito flakes
- Togarashi chili powder or red pepper flakes, optional
- Black sesame seeds, optional
- Wrap tofu blocks in clean kitchen towels and place a cutting board on top and weigh with a heavy item such as a frying pan and let sit for 15-30 minutes.
- Cut green onions into thirds and then cut into very thin strips. Place in an ice bath for 5-10 minutes or until they have curled. Drain on a clean kitchen towel.
- Heat stock, tamari, mirin, and ginger in a small pot and bring to a boil.
- Mix 1 tablespoon starch with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl.
- Add starch mixture to the stock and whisk immediately and remove from heat.
- Pat tofu blocks dry and cut each one into four pieces.
- Dust each piece with potato starch on all sides.
- Heat enough oil to cover a heavy pot about ¼” deep over medium-high heat.
- Cook until golden browned on each side and set aside on paper towels to drain.
- Divide the broth between four bowls and add two pieces of crispy tofu to the broth.
- Garnish curly green onions, bonito flakes, chili powder, and sesame seeds.