Celebrate the Weekend, the Camp Orkila Way!
Published: March 26, 2020, at 9:37 a.m. PT
Last updated: April 14, 2020, at 11:21 a.m. PT
Even though it’s getting hard to tell one day from the next, we are heading into a weekend! Here are three camp-tastic ways to celebrate:
1. Values Sessions
Just like we close the days at Camp Orkila with a values session, we recommend closing out your week with one, too! Try asking your family one of the following reflective prompts:
- What was your high point of this week? What is your hope for the weekend and next week?
- What is one thing you learned this week?
- What is something you’re grateful for?
These prompts will help connect your family. Remember the five rules for any reflective conversation!
- Challenge by choice and expect unfinished business, meaning each participant can share as much or as little they’d like.
- Four walls and a window; what’s shared within the conversation will stay in this conversation.
- Try and keep responses to “I statements” only
- Limiting cross-talk will help everyone feel heard and respected.
Campfire at Orkila allows us to come together as a community for skits, songs, and jokes performed by adults and kids. Bring this tradition home and avoid any stage fright! Have a contest for who can think of the most creative skit, the happiest song, or has the wackiest talent. Bonus points for having an actual fire (drawing one that looks extra cozy or using this one from YouTube works, too)!
3. Goof Ball
That’s right! Put on your goofiest outfit and crank up the music. Dig out those tutus, swimming goggles, and of course, undies (best if worn on your head or outside your clothes)! Check out this Spotify playlist for three hours of camp-appropriate fun!
Be sure to tag us @CampOrkila on Instagram or @YMCACampOrkila on Facebook with photos of all the fun that you’re having! We hope you have an awesome weekend, and we’ll see you next week with more ideas of how you can bring camp indoors this spring.