Tips to Keep Your Heart Healthy
Last updated: January 25, 2023, at 10:51 a.m. PT
Originally published: February 9, 2017, at 9:10 a.m. PT
Heart disease is a problem that is on the rise in recent times. Today, it is not just the elderly that are affected by heart disease, prevention is just as important! Here are 11 simple tips to consider to lower your risk:
- Know your numbers! Consult with your physician to learn what healthy blood pressure, blood sugar, and blood cholesterol numbers look like for you.
- Make sure you include plenty of fruits and fresh greens in your meals.
- Reduce your consumption of food that is fried, heavy on salt, or very oily.
- Take care of your mental health.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Do the things you enjoy, like spending time with loved ones and finding time for recreation.
- Learn to have a good sense of humor.
- Find ways to be more active. Walking, cycling, or swimming are great options!
- Keep going for regular checkups with your physician, especially if your family has had a history of heart disease.
- Avoid processed food. Prioritize fresh food, fruits, and vegetables.
- Get closer to nature. Anything as simple as a short hike or growing a small plant in pot in your home can be very therapeutic.