Recipe: Tuscan Lentil Soup
Published: June 24, 2020, at 8:56 p.m. PT
Last updated: June 24, 2020, at 8:58 p.m. PT
This vegetarian soup will delight both meat and non-meat eaters alike. It's also packed with protein for an added bonus! Vegan? Just skip the cheese!
Total Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes 1 large bay leaf
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups dried lentils, rinsed and sortedSalt and Pepper, to taste
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves, no stems
- 2 sprigs cilantro
- Balsamic Vinegar, to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a stockpot.
- Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook until softened - about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic, oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring for 2 minutes more.
- Add bay leaf, tomatoes, and broth and bring to a boil.
- Add lentils, cover, and reduce heat to low and simmer until tender - about 25 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir chopped kale in until wilted (about 5 minutes).
- Serve with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and top with grated Parmesan cheese and cilantro.