Recipe: Tom Yum Goong (Hot and Sour Soup with Shrimp)
Last updated: May 26, 2022, at 1:12 p.m. PT
Originally published: May 26, 2022, at 1:12 p.m. PT
- 4 cups broth or water
- 2 stalks lemongrass, cut into 3” pieces and smashed with the base of a knife
- 5” piece of galangal (or ginger), cut into four slices
- 5 makrut lime leaves, torn in half
- 2 Thai chiles, sliced (or 2 teaspoons chili paste)
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 oz mushrooms of choice
- 10 ounces raw shrimp, peeled
- 1 roma tomato, cut into wedges
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ cup torn cilantro
- Bring broth, lemongrass, galangal, lime leaves, Thai chiles and garlic cloves to a boil over medium heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, shrimp and tomatoes and cook for just two minutes.
- Stir in honey, fish sauce, and lime juice.
- Ladle into bowls and top with cilantro.