Recipe: Thai Style Wheat Berry Salad
Last updated: December 22, 2020, at 12:25 p.m. PT
Originally published: December 22, 2020, at 12:17 p.m. PT
This hearty grain salad takes a unique twist with Thai inspired flavors.
- 1 ½ cups wheat berries
- Sea Salt
- 1/3 cup raw pepitas
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ small red onion, minced
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup mint leaves, chopped
- Cook wheat berries in salted, boiling water until tender 45-60 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, toast the pepitas and sunflower seeds on medium-low heat until pepitas begin to pop – about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a serving bowl, whisk together the lime zest, juice, sesame oil, fish sauce and honey. Add the wheat berries, toasted seeds, red onion, green onions, cilantro and mint leaves. Toss until well combined. Serve immediately or set aside to allow flavors to develop even further.