Recipe: Spiced Honey Poached Pears
Last updated: December 3, 2020, at 2:45 p.m. PT
Originally published: December 3, 2020, at 1:17 p.m. PT
This sweet treat uses all whole food ingredients that will satisfy your sweet tooth with zero guilt!
- 2 cups of water
- ¾ cup honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 whole star anise
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 4 firm but ripe pears, peeled, cored, and halved
- ½ whole milk plain Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Bring water, honey, cinnamon stick, anise, cloves, anise, lemon, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add pears, cover, and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until tender. Less ripe pears will need longer cooking time.
- Gently remove pears from the liquid and set aside. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce until thickened and syrupy – about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool. Strain out spices and discard.
- Remove 1-2 tablespoons of the syrup and whisk into yogurt.
- Serve pears topped with a dollop of sweetened yogurt and dust lightly with ground cinnamon.
- To serve whole poached pears, carefully use a small spoon to remove the core by scooping it out from the base of the pear. Leave the stem on and increase the cooking time until tender – about 30 minutes.
- Make one day ahead by pouring reduced syrup over pears and store in the fridge until ready to serve for a more intense flavor.