Recipe: Socca (Chickpea Flatbread)
Last updated: January 4, 2022, at 2:14 p.m. PT
Originally published: January 4, 2022, at 2:14 p.m. PT
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon za’atar
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1 pinch flaky sea salt
- 1 teaspoon za’atar
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, water, olive oil, sea salt, and ½ teaspoon za’atar.
- Allow batter to rest for 30 minutes.
- While the batter is resting, arrange the oven rack about 6” below the broiler.
- Place a 10” cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven and turn on the broiler.
- Add avocado oil to hot pan and carefully swirl to coat.
- Pour the batter in the center of the pan and tilt it to evenly distribute the batter.
- Transfer to the oven and broil for 5-8 minutes or until the top blisters and browns and has crispy edges.
- Use a rubber spatula to release the socca from the pan and slide it onto a cutting board.
- Drizzle with a bit more olive oil and sprinkle with flaky sea salt and the remaining za’atar.
- Cut into 8 wedges and serve.
Locations: Auburn Valley YMCA Bellevue Family YMCA Coal Creek Family YMCA Dale Turner Family YMCA Downtown Seattle YMCA Matt Griffin YMCA Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA Northshore YMCA Sammamish Community YMCA Snoqualmie Valley YMCA University Family YMCA West Seattle & Fauntleroy YMCA Kent YMCA