Recipe: Shoyu Tomago (Soy Sauce Eggs)
Last updated: January 27, 2022, at 3:43 p.m. PT
Originally published: January 27, 2022, at 12:41 p.m. PT
- 6 peeled soft-boiled eggs*
- ¾ cup water
- 3 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce (optional)
- Place a Ziplock bag over a jar to stabilize.
- Combine water, tamari, mirin, and dark soy sauce in the bag.
- Gently add eggs to the bag and squeeze out as much air as possible.
- Allow marinating for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
*PERFECT SOFT-BOILED EGGS: Bring one inch of water to boil in a medium saucepan. Carefully add eggs (up to 6) to the water and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Cook eggs for 6 ½ minutes and immediately cool under running water until cool enough to handle.