Recipe: Seared Scallops with White Beans and Hearty Greens
Last updated: April 28, 2022, at 9:50 a.m. PT
Originally published: April 26, 2022, at 2:38 p.m. PT
- 3 teaspoons avocado oil, divided
- 1 bunch chard, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup white wine (or additional broth)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-pound dry sea scallops, side muscle removed
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat 2 teaspoons avocado oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet and add greens, stirring often until wilted – about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper and stir until fragrant – about 1 minute more.
- Add beans, broth and white wine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in lemon zest and juice and drizzle with olive oil.
- Divide bean mixture among four serving plates and wipe skillet clean
- Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper and heat remaining teaspoon avocado oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- When pan is hot, add scallops and cook until well browned on one side – about 2 minutes.
- Flip and sear for two minutes more.
- Divide seared scallops among the serving plates and top with fresh chopped parsley and more freshly ground black pepper.
Serve with slices of crusty bread to mop up the juices.