Recipe: Homemade Kimchi & Yogurt Dressing
Last updated: March 22, 2023, at 4:58 a.m. PT
Originally published: August 24, 2020, at 9:44 a.m. PT
Combining two probiotic superfoods together creates a tangy and flavorful dressing for salads, cut veggies, and more!
- 1 medium head napa cabbage
- 1/4 cup iodine-free salt
- Water, preferably distilled or filtered
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic (5 to 6 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or 3 tablespoons water
- 1 to 5 tablespoons Korean red pepper flakes (gochugaru)
- 8 ounces daikon radish, peeled and cut into
- 4 medium scallions, trimmed and cut into
- 1-inch pieces
TIP: If you can't find Gochugaru, substitute with 1/2 tablespoon chipotle powder and 1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes.
- Cut the cabbage lengthwise into quarters. Remove the core and cut each piece into 2" wide strips.
- Place cabbage in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt. Use your hands to massage the salt into the cabbage until it begins to soften and release some liquid. Add enough
- water to cover the cabbage. Place a plate on top of the cabbage and set a weight on top to make sure the cabbage is submerged. Let stand for 1-2 hours.
- Rinse and drain the cabbage with cold water several times. Set in a colander to drain.
- In a large bowl, mix garlic, ginger, fish sauce (or water) and gochugaru to create a paste.
- Squeeze the drained cabbage well and add to the paste. Add radish and scallions and use your hands to mix thoroughly.
- Pack the kimchi into a 1 quart jar. Press down until the liquid rises above the vegetables.
- Seal the jar and place on a plate to ferment for 1-5 days at room temperature, out of direct sunlight.
- Check it daily by opening the jar, tasting and pressing veggies down again. Transfer to fridge when it has ripened to your liking.
Kimchi Dressing Ingredients
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup drained kimchi
Kimchi Dressing Instructions
Combine ingredients into a food processor and puree until smooth and creamy.