Recipe: Homemade Kimchi & Yogurt Dressing
Last updated: March 22, 2023, at 4:58 a.m. PT
Originally published: August 24, 2020, at 9:44 a.m. PT
Combining two probiotic superfoods together creates a tangy and flavorful dressing for salads, cut veggies, and more!
- 1 medium head napa cabbage
- 1/4 cup iodine-free salt
- Water, preferably distilled or filtered
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic (5 to 6 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or 3 tablespoons water
- 1 to 5 tablespoons Korean red pepper flakes (gochugaru)
- 8 ounces daikon radish, peeled and cut into
- 4 medium scallions, trimmed and cut into
- 1-inch pieces
TIP: If you can't find Gochugaru, substitute with 1/2 tablespoon chipotle powder and 1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes.
- Cut the cabbage lengthwise into quarters. Remove the core and cut each piece into 2" wide strips.
- Place cabbage in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt. Use your hands to massage the salt into the cabbage until it begins to soften and release some liquid. Add enough
- water to cover the cabbage. Place a plate on top of the cabbage and set a weight on top to make sure the cabbage is submerged. Let stand for 1-2 hours.
- Rinse and drain the cabbage with cold water several times. Set in a colander to drain.
- In a large bowl, mix garlic, ginger, fish sauce (or water) and gochugaru to create a paste.
- Squeeze the drained cabbage well and add to the paste. Add radish and scallions and use your hands to mix thoroughly.
- Pack the kimchi into a 1 quart jar. Press down until the liquid rises above the vegetables.
- Seal the jar and place on a plate to ferment for 1-5 days at room temperature, out of direct sunlight.
- Check it daily by opening the jar, tasting and pressing veggies down again. Transfer to fridge when it has ripened to your liking.
Kimchi Dressing Ingredients
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup drained kimchi
Kimchi Dressing Instructions
Combine ingredients into a food processor and puree until smooth and creamy.
Locations: Auburn Valley YMCA Bellevue Family YMCA Coal Creek Family YMCA Dale Turner Family YMCA Downtown Seattle YMCA Matt Griffin YMCA Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA Northshore YMCA Sammamish Community YMCA Snoqualmie Valley YMCA University Family YMCA West Seattle & Fauntleroy YMCA Kent YMCA