Recipe: Homemade Ketchup
Last updated: August 26, 2021, at 9:34 a.m. PT
Originally published: August 26, 2021, at 9:27 a.m. PT
- 6 ounces pitted Medjool dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (6 ounces) can tomato paste
- 5 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- Place the dates in a heat-proof bowl and pour boiling water over. Let the dates soak for a few minutes.
- Add tomato paste, vinegar, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, mustard, allspice, cloves, and the soaked dates and the soaking liquid into your blender.
- Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides periodically.
- Add up to ¼ cup additional water if needed to reach your desired consistency.
- Transfer to a glass storage container and allow to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Yields: Approximately 2 ¼ cups
TIPS: Ketchup will keep for at least 2 weeks in the fridge and can be frozen for up to 6 months.