Make Play Dough Together
Last updated: April 18, 2020, at 11:56 a.m. PT
Originally published: March 28, 2020, at 7:39 a.m. PT
Watch as Nicole, a Y staff member, and her family make play dough together!
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 tbsp cooking oil (olive oil or vegetable oil)
- 1 cup water
- Food coloring
- Optional: Glitter, Essential Oils, and/or Spices
- In a large bowl, combine all of your dry ingredients (flour, salt, cream of tartar) and mix well.
- Mix food coloring with your water first. Then add the vegetable oil and water with food coloring to a large pot. Mix together.
- Add the dry ingredients to your pot and mix well.
- Cook over low to medium heat until the dough starts to form and becomes dry.
- Once it starts to form a ball together and looks fully cooked, take off the heat. Let the dough cool first before touching.
- Once cool, knead the dough for five minutes to make the dough soft.
Note: If your dough is not soft, continue kneading for another five minutes. If you find it is still too dry, add a little bit more oil and knead in.