Easy Ideas to Incorporate Social and Emotional Learning at Home
Last updated: April 14, 2020, at 9:26 a.m. PT
Originally published: March 30, 2020, at 10:16 a.m. PT
During a time when many of us are already balancing work and school from home, plus higher stress, it may feel challenging to reinforce and support Social Emotional Learning.
According to CASEL.org, “Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.”
The YMCA of Greater Seattle and Sanford Harmony partner to integrate the Sanford Harmony SEL Curriculum into our before and after-school programs. This CASEL-aligned curriculum provides the tools youth need to expand their social, emotional, and cognitive skills. To support kids and families during the COVID-19 pandemic, Sanford Harmony has released their FREE Harmony at Home Toolkit!
Our Education and Curriculum Director has also put together some great ideas for you to incorporate SEL into your days and weeks at home.
- Try some at-home activities from Sandford Harmony
- Make a Mood Meter.
- Create a Calm Down Bottle.
- Connect at the dinner table with some great Quick Connection Card questions from Sandford Harmony
- Read books together on topics such as friendship, cooperation, bullying, dealing with anger, and problem-solving.
- Meet Z! Z is the Sanford Harmony mascot and is introduced into many of the stories available through the Sanford Harmony portal. Engage Z in a fun field trip at home with these print-outs, similar to Flat Stanley’s adventures.
- Go for a walk and just talk.
About CASEL.org: The Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL) is a trusted source for knowledge about high-quality, evidence-based social and emotional learning (SEL). CASEL supports educators and policy leaders and enhances the experiences and outcomes for all PreK-12 students.
About Sandford Harmony: Available at no cost, Sanford Harmony is a social emotional learning program for Pre-K-6 grade students designed to foster communication, connection, and community both in and outside the classroom and develop boys and girls into compassionate and caring adults.