Last updated: November 17, 2020, at 1:28 p.m. PT
Originally published: October 22, 2020, at 11:00 a.m. PT
We’re committed to nurturing the health and safety of our community members. You can help keep our most vulnerable neighbors safe from the flu by getting a flu shot and following the same hygiene procedures that prevent the spread of COVID-19.
With the COVID-19 pandemic, flu shots are more important than ever. Because some of the symptoms of the flu and COVID-19 are similar, such as fever, cough, shortness of breath and headache, it may be hard to tell the difference based on symptoms alone. Testing may be needed to help confirm a diagnosis. Preventing the flu with a flu shot means there’s less chance of worrying – is it flu or is it COVID?
FLU SHOT RESOURCES
Flu resources from Public Health – Seattle & King County:
- Flu shots are quick and easy and recommended for almost everyone over the age of 6 months
- Flu shots are available in every doctor’s office as well as in most pharmacies; Search for a clinic or pharmacy near you
- Most insurance pays for a flu shot
- Public Health – Seattle & King County has partnered with Stepping Stone Pediatrics to offer free vaccinations for children ages 0-18 who are uninsured/underinsured/recipients of state-funded health plans
- Flu vaccine cannot cause flu – it’s scientifically impossible
- Flu shots are not 100% effective, but research shows if someone who is vaccinated does get the flu, they will have a milder case and be much less likely to be hospitalized