Family Reflection: Stick, Rock, & Leaf Activity
Published: July 10, 2020, at 1:08 p.m. PT
Last updated: July 10, 2020, at 1:12 p.m. PT
This two-step family activity will help you process the day, week, or month as a group.
First, each family member needs to find a stick, a rock, and a leaf. You could do this on a neighborhood walk, or while exploring a local park, or your backyard.
Second, each family member gets a chance to share their “Stick, Rock, and Leaf” reflections.
- Stick - something that will stick with you
- Rock - something that rocked your world
- Leaf - something you want to leave behind or let go of
If one of these reflections is important to you, you can keep the item that represents it as a reminder!
For productive and safe discussion spaces, consider following the rules of a values session!
- No crosstalk - only one person speaks at a time
- Four walls - what’s shared in the values session will stay in the values session
- Challenge by choice - each person can share as much or as little as they’d like
- “I Statements”- make sure to speak from your own experience
- Expect unfinished business - if someone chooses to stop sharing, we don’t push them for more information