Create a Recycled Bird Feeder
Published: April 27, 2020, at 8:36 a.m. PT
Last updated: April 27, 2020, at 8:36 a.m. PT
It's spring! The animals in western Washington state are more active than ever, especially birds! Adding a feeder into your yard, patio, or deck is a great way to observe and learn about the birds in your neighborhood. And we've got an easy and fun way to use items in your recycle bin to make a bird feeder at home for our feathery friends.
- Tin can
- Decorations and whatever you need to attach them (glue/tape)
- String or ribbon to hang
- Bird seed
- Remove the paper label from an empty tin can that has been cleaned out and the lid/sharp edges removed. Ask an adult for help.
- Decorate the outside of your can. We used construction paper, buttons, and colored pencils, but paint, crayons, or cut up magazines would work well, too.
- Attach the string to the can. Tape one end to the bottom of the can and the other on the inside of the edge of the top of the can.
- Fill with bird seed and hang outside for a bird to enjoy!