Celebrate Silly Holidays in August
Last updated: August 13, 2020, at 1:18 p.m. PT
Originally published: August 13, 2020, at 12:47 p.m. PT
Every day can be a holiday! We’re sharing some of our favorite silly August holidays and awesome ways to celebrate them.
August 11: Play in the Sand Day
Hit your favorite local beach and build some cool castles, dig some holes, or simply run your toes through the sand. At home, try making your own kinetic sand, make a DIY Sand Zen Garden, or do some cool sand art.
August 15: National Relaxation Day
Do what you do best to relax! Mediate, do yoga (you can try some of our great virtual Y Mind and Body classes here), go for a walk in your neighborhood, curl up with a good book, take a nap, or make your own bath salts to use them in a bath.
How to Make Your Own Bath Salt
- 1 cup Epsom salt
- 1 cup kosher or sea salt
- 2 jars with lids
- 2 colors of liquid food color
- 1 pretty 8 oz. jar
- A few drops of your favorite essential oil
- In mixing bowl, add salts together and stir to combine.
- Add 1 cup of salt into each jar.
- Add 13-15 drops of food color in each jar (depending on how dark you would like your color). Pick two colors that will look well blended together.
- Add a few drops of perfume or essential oil.
- Shake jars until salts are well-dyed.
- Pour salt onto paper towel and let dry overnight.
- Wash jars out and let dry. Layer salts in jar, alternating colors for a nice sand art look.
- Attach lid and tie with a ribbon. Label with a card that says, "Use 1-2 tablespoons for a refreshing bath."
August 16: National Tell a Joke Day
Laughter is the best medicine – even if you aren’t sick. Celebrate National Tell a Joke Day by learning some new jokes. Compile your favorites into your own joke book and practice your delivery to get your friends and family in stitches from laughter! After that, watch your favorite family-friendly comedy show or movie and laugh the night away.
August 26: National Dog Day
Celebrate the dog days of summer, with your furry best friend! Pay homage to Fido by donating food, toys, or blankets to your local shelter; buying or making your pup a new toy; and taking your dog on a walk to their favorite park to play! Other great ways to celebrate can be found here.
August 30: National Toasted Marshmallow Day
Is there anything more iconic during summer than an ooey-gooey marshmallow, toasted over the fire? In honor of National Toasted Marshmallow Day, try one of these marshmallow-inspired activities:
- Marshmallow Sculptures: All you need is some mini marshmallows, some toothpicks, and your imagination. Using these simple items, engineer a marshmallow structure. Have a family challenge to see who can make the tallest, strongest, most creative types of structures, then eat them when you’re done!
- Marshmallow Stamping: For this creative project, you need large marshmallows, sticks or skewers, paper, and your favorite paint colors. Pour some paint on a plate and poke your marshmallow with the stick or skewer. Use your marshmallow stamper to creative paint and design to your heart’s content.
- S’mores: What kind of National Toasted Marshmallow Day would it be, if it didn’t involve s’mores? Try something different like a Bacon S’more, Peanut Butter Cup S’more, or some other creative palette pleasers.