5 Ways to Give Back as a Family
Last updated: November 11, 2019, at 2:08 p.m. PT
Originally published: December 16, 2016, at 1:24 p.m. PT
The holiday season is a time for giving! It’s also a great time for kids to practice compassion and kindness while experiencing the joy of helping others. Engaging your kids in service projects as a family is a great way for kids to learn about giving.
Here are some ways to give back together:
- Donate to a food bank. Let your kids choose their favorite non-perishable foods either from your home pantry or during a special trip to the grocery store to give to your local food bank.
- Join the Snoqualmie Valley YMCA as they work on helping the health of the land around us by pulling invasive species and planting new plants at the Stillwater Bog. The next work party is November 9, but there are new dates scheduled regularly!
- Pack a care package for those experiencing homelessness in your neighborhood. Together, pack a backpack or bag with items such as granola bars, water bottles, toothpaste, a sweet treat and warm gloves or socks. Keep the bags in your car and hand them out to those experiencing homelessness you encounter on your daily commutes.
- Sponsor a family for a Thanksgiving meal. Many local grocery stores allow you to purchase a Thanksgiving meal in a bag, or reach out to your local food back, community center or church for suggestions on how to help.
- Knit warm gloves, scarves and hats, then send them to World Vision as part of their Knit for Kids program.