DIVERSITY PROGRAMS & EVENTS
Throughout the year we partner with our community to explore and celebrate the cultures, traditions, and contributions of our community through events and innovative programs.
Each month across at each of our branches, we host events, cultural excursions and workshops to deepen our cross-cultural understanding. Ongoing programs like our Women’s Only Healthy Living programs ensure all have access to reach their fullest potential.
Events & National Awareness Months
Each month, we collaborate with our community, local artisans and organizations to create cultural enrichment opportunities for the whole family.
- January 1: Refugee Birthday
- January: Martin Luther King, Jr Day
- February: Chinese/ Lunar New Year
- February: Black History Month
- March: Women’s History Month
- April: Asian & Pacific Islander History Month
- June: PRIDE Month
- The ninth month of the Islamic calendar: Ramadan
- September 14-23: Welcoming Week
- September 15 – October 15: Latinx Heritage Month
- October: Disability Awareness Month
- November: Native American Heritage Month
- November: Diwali
Diversity & Inclusion Programs
Women’s Only Programs
Driven by our commitment to providing culturally responsive spaces, the Y has created unique programs to meet the needs of participants who value a women’s only space.
- Women’s Only Swim: Women's only times in the pool are taught by female staff and include screens for privacy. Select branches offer burkinis for sale and women’s only swimming lessons.
- Women’s Only Yoga: This class encourages women of all ages, backgrounds and fitness levels to enjoy the benefits of yoga in a private space.
Diversity in the Outdoors
African American Camps: Bringing families and youth together to explore our favorite camp skills and activities such as archery, boating, crafts, and the giant swing! Be a part of fellowship discussions around life skills unique to the African American Experience.
- African American Females Camp: Hosted at beautiful YMCA Camp Colman on the Key Peninsula, this weekend offers a chance to play and relax with more than 110 acres of beach, forest, and fields.
- African American Males Camp: In partnership with the100 Black Parents Advocacy Group, this event takes place at beautiful YMCA Camp Orkila on Orcas Island, play and relax with more than 280 acres of beach, forest, and fields.
LGBTQ Family Camp: Enjoy some outdoor fun together while also connecting with other LGBTQ families and allies. We hope you’ll join us for this colorful celebration of family and community. Available at Camp Orkila and Colman.
Camp for Exceptional Families: Hosted by Camp Orkila in partnership with University of Washington's Autism Center. This weekend is ideal for families of all shapes, sizes, and abilities to unwind from the pressures of your family's busy lives adapted so everyone can participate.