Swim Lessons: Preparing for your First Day
Published: May 24, 2017, at 11:37 a.m. PT
Last updated: February 21, 2018, at 10:41 a.m. PT
We’re so glad you’ve chosen the Y as your swim lesson provider! The Y is committed to keeping class and lesson sizes small so swimmers get the expert, personal attention they need to succeed. If you’re new to swim lessons at the Y, here are a few tips for what to expect, what to wear and what to bring to for a successful lesson.
- You don’t need to be a member of the Y to take swimming lessons! But members do receive a discount on lessons and classes.
- If you’re not sure which lesson to sign up for, check out our program overview or this handy lesson selector to help you find the right fit. If you still have questions, please feel free to reach out to your local YMCA branch for more information.
- Go here to see what lessons are available near you, pricing, and how to register.
What to bring to lessons
- Photo ID
- Your own lock for the locker rooms, we encourage leaving any valuable items at home.
- A family-friendly swimsuit
- A towel
- Sandals or flip-flops
- Goggles are recommended (masks and snorkels are not permitted unless otherwise noted)
- Persons wearing diapers need to have a swim diaper with a tight fitting protective covering
- No food, drink, chewing gum or glass is permitted on the pool deck
Arriving for lessons
- Plan to arrive with enough time to change into swimming attire
- A rinsing shower is required before entering the pool
- Using the restroom before entering the pool is encouraged
On the first day of lessons
- If you or your child has a fear of water, or is feeling exceptionally nervous, please arrive a little early to inform the instructor so he/she can accommodate your needs to ensure you feel comfortable
- Go straight to the pool deck to find your instructor and class
- The pool might be available to Y members before or after lessons for open swimming—check your local Y pool schedule
- Lessons do not take place on the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin L. King Jr.’s Birthday, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day unless otherwise noted by your Y facility.
The Y considers the individual needs of every person and the ability of the program to meet those needs. Please inform the Y during the enrollment process if you or a family member requires any special accommodation. This information enables the Y to better meet your needs or those of a family member, within available resources and to the extent reasonable. All staff that will be working with you or a family member with special needs will be informed of how to care for or meet those needs.