Recipe: Warm Kale Salad with Crispy Quinoa
Last updated: November 18, 2023, at 4:56 p.m. PT
Originally published: November 18, 2023, at 4:49 p.m. PT
- One small head of green cabbage, shredded
- Avocado oil, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup uncooked quinoa
- One bunch of lacinato kale, leaves only, thinly sliced
- Two springs of fresh sage
- One large rosemary sprig
- Two tablespoons water
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- One small red onion, thinly sliced into half-moons
- Two plus tablespoons of chili oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Toss cabbage evenly with avocado oil on a large baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, toss and push to the side to make room for the sliced kale leaves.
- Add kale leaves to the baking sheet, toss with a bit more oil, salt, and pepper, and return to the oven to roast for 5-10 minutes more or until browned.
- Bring ¾ cup quinoa and one cup plus two tablespoons of water to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until water has been absorbed and quinoa is cooked – about 15 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, make the quick pickled onion dressing.
- Add an even layer of avocado oil to a small pot and heat over a medium flame before adding the sage and rosemary.
- Mix water and honey and carefully add to hot oil. Stir until thickened slightly – about a minute.
- Add vinegar, salt, and pepper and simmer for another minute or two. Remove herbs and discard before pouring warm vinaigrette over onions and tossing to combine.
- Heat chili oil over medium heat and add cooked quinoa, stirring until golden brown and slightly crispy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss roasted greens with red onion dressing, top with crispy quinoa, and dig in!