Recipe: Spiced Coconut Rice with Chickpeas
Last updated: September 18, 2023, at 3:45 p.m. PT
Originally published: September 15, 2023, at 10:34 a.m. PT
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas drained and patted dry
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chopped kale, leaves only
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Avocado oil
- 4-6 dried rice paper rounds
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat and add chickpeas, the shallots, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring frequently, until crispy – about 10 minutes.
- Add coconut flakes and red pepper flakes and stir until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add the remaining two tablespoons of oil, kale, turmeric, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Toss until wilted, add coconut milk, and bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add rice and cook, stirring until rice has absorbed the liquid.
- Remove from heat and top with chickpea mixture and cilantro.