Recipe: Spaghetti With Tuna Caper Sauce
Last updated: August 26, 2021, at 9:09 a.m. PT
Originally published: August 26, 2021, at 8:55 a.m. PT
- 12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 10 ounces tuna packed in oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions in salted water.
- Reserve 1 ½ cups cooking liquid and drain pasta, and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add tuna with its oil and sliced garlic.
- Break apart the tuna with your spoon and cook for 1-2 minutes.'
- Add capers and red pepper flakes and cook for one minute more.
- Add pasta to the pan and pour over the pasta water and toss a few times until liquid is reduced.
- Remove from heat and toss with lemon zest, juice, oil, and parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and top with more crushed red pepper flakes if desired.