Recipe: Mediterranean Diet Balela
Last updated: March 22, 2023, at 4:58 a.m. PT
Originally published: September 16, 2020, at 12:08 p.m. PT
This classic dish serves as a hearty side or layer on top of tender greens for a satisfying salad.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cans garbanzo beans, drained/rinsed
- 2 cans black beans, drained/rinsed
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- In a large bowl, whisk together the garlic, olive oil, vinegar, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining ingredients and gently toss until well combined.
Balela can be served immediately or stored in the refrigerator for several days. Flavor is best when allowed to sit for at least 30 minutes.
Locations: Auburn Valley YMCA Bellevue Family YMCA Coal Creek Family YMCA Dale Turner Family YMCA Downtown Seattle YMCA Matt Griffin YMCA Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA Northshore YMCA Sammamish Community YMCA Snoqualmie Valley YMCA University Family YMCA West Seattle & Fauntleroy YMCA Kent YMCA