Recipe: Homemade Dashi Stock
Last updated: January 27, 2022, at 12:06 p.m. PT
Originally published: January 27, 2022, at 12:06 p.m. PT
- 2 5” pieces dried kombu
- 3 cups bonito flakes
- Place kombu in a large pot, cover with 8 cups of water and allow to soften for 30 minutes.
- Heat on high until just boiling and remove the kombu.
- Remove from heat and add one cup of cold water to bring the temperature down slightly.
- Add bonito flakes and sit until they sink to the bottom of the pot.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove any scum that is on the surface.
- Strain the dashi using a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth.
YIELDS: 9 Cups