Recipe: Herby Lemon Beans (With Spicy Breadcrumb Topping)
Last updated: July 19, 2023, at 12:34 p.m. PT
Originally published: June 22, 2023, at 3:05 p.m. PT
Herby Lemon Beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can butter beans, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
- ¼ cup chopped parsley, divided
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill, divided
- 1 ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¾ cup plain non-dairy milk
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet and add leeks – cooking until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for one minute before adding both kinds of beans, 3 tablespoons parsley and 3 tablespoons fresh dill.
- Add broth, season to taste with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer – cooking until broth has reduced by half – about 5 minutes.
- Add nutritional yeast and milk and stir until warm throughout.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice, zest and a bit more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve topped with reserved parsley, dill and spicy breadcrumbs (recipe below).
Spicey Garlic Breadcrumb Topping
- Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and add garlic and chili flakes and cook for about one minute until fragrant. Stir in panko and stir until deep golden brown and season with salt.