Recipe: Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad
Last updated: July 19, 2021, at 1:35 p.m. PT
Originally published: May 21, 2021, at 1:05 p.m. PT
- 3 ears of corn, husks and silks removed
- 1 poblano pepper
- Spray avocado oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle pepper powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- ¼ cup crumbled cotija cheese
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- Heat grill to high and lightly coat corn and poblano with avocado spray oil. Grill uncovered until lightly charred and tender – about 10 minutes.
- Remove corn and set aside, continue to grill poblano about 5 minutes more, or until completely blackened.
- Place hot pepper in a small bowl covered tightly with saran wrap for 10 minutes to steam.
- In a mason jar, add lime juice, honey, chipotle pepper powder, salt, and avocado oil. Shake until emulsified.
- Cut kernels from corn cobs and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Remove charred skin from the poblano pepper, chop and add to corn.
- Add tomato, cheese, cilantro, and avocado to grilled veggies and gently toss. Season with a bit more salt.
- Toss romaine with half of the dressing and transfer to a platter.
- Top with the corn mixture and drizzle with remaining dressing.
- Serve immediately.
Locations: Auburn Valley YMCA Bellevue Family YMCA Coal Creek Family YMCA Dale Turner Family YMCA Downtown Seattle YMCA Matt Griffin YMCA Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA Northshore YMCA Sammamish Community YMCA Snoqualmie Valley YMCA University Family YMCA West Seattle & Fauntleroy YMCA Kent YMCA