Recipe: Garlic Lemon Pasta with Tuna
Last updated: May 7, 2020, at 1:04 p.m. PT
Originally published: April 13, 2020, at 6:54 p.m. PT
This zesty pasta dish is delicious with tuna but you can also substitute canned chickpeas or grilled chicken.
Total Preparation Time
- 8 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 oz. whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (5 oz) cans tuna, drained
- 8 oz frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
- 1 lemon, zest and juice, divided
- 3 tablespoons capers
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or basil (optional)
- Place garlic slices and oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring often to until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to remove garlic and place on a paper towel lined plate. Remove from heat and leave oil in pan.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta, according to directions. Drain and reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
- Return pan with the garlic oil to medium heat. Add onions and pepper flakes and saute until softened—about 7 minutes.
- Add tuna, spinach, lemon zest, capers, salt and pepper.
- Add cooked pasta and 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Toss with cheese and more pasta water if needed.
- Top with herbs, if using.